Thursday, March 6, 2014

Water Problems Common at Landmark at Rosewood Apartments

Assistant Manager and Manager for Landmark at Rosewood Apartments.
Image from FaceBook community page

Landlords are responsible for providing water for tenants so, when a water pipe breaks... It is considered a maintenance emergency. It needs to be repaired immediately and can't be put on a list of to-do repairs for the maintenance people.

In the two months I have lived here, there have been three different water pipe breaks that resulted in the water being turned off for the entire building. Two months... Three pipe breaks.
The most recent one happened this past Monday, March 3, 2014. The water was turned back on the next day. The NEXT DAY!

Here is what happened and what tenants were told.




About 11:30 PM on March 3, there was loud knocking at my door with a male voice calling out "Fire department."
I opened the door and they asked if the water leak was coming from my laundry closet on my patio. So we went out to the patio and we saw water flowing down the drywall from the ceiling and down all the walls. My washing machine, dryer and everything else I had in the closet was soaked and the water kept on flowing. The pipe that burst was in the laundry closet of the unit above mine.
It should be noted that the first of the three pipe breaks in two months happened in the SAME place! Management claims the cold weather caused both breaks. Jennifer Dales, the property manager told me that the first repair was done by an independent licensed plumber. Hmm... I would suggest that they not be hired again since their first repair only held for two months!

At midnight, one of the two property maintenance guys came to my apartment to let me know that Jennifer had told him by phone to let residents know that the water would remain off until the following day.
I told him that was not acceptable because I would need to shower in the morning and all the other tenants who worked the next day would need to as well. He repeated what he was told and it was obvious to me that he was not going to make the repair himself because, he was told not to.
I asked him to call Jennifer back and tell her that I would like to make a temporary repair myself. I showed him that I have all the tools, materials and gas right there. I said it would take a few minutes to cap off the broken pipe which would allow him to turn the water for the building back on and tenants could have water until the plumber arrived the next day.
He left to make the call and five minutes later he was back to let me know my offer was declined.

He acknowledged that a pipe break is considered an emergency repair. I asked him to call Jennifer again and give her the message that the next day was not acceptable to have to wait that long for a plumber. They needed to call another plumber that was on-call for after hours emergency repairs.
That demand was also declined by management. In other words... The manager was not going to address the problem immediately and by waiting until the next day, she would be able to avoid being charged for an after hours emergency call.
Us residents here at Landmark at Rosewood sure are special to management!

In fact, I know that to be true because, it says so on their website. Click here
I took a screen shot to show you as well. Look at the first item listed for amenities they offer...

Image taken from website used under first amendment fair comment and criticism 
Perhaps I am being too difficult and I simply expect too much of the management where I live. The following day I went into the office to talk to Jennifer and I asked her if I could be released from my lease and allowed to move without penalty. She said I can give a 60-day notice and I would be responsible for "re-letting" fees. Meaning, I would have to pay rent even if I don't live in the apartment anymore until they re-let the unit. Do you think they would try their best to get a new tenant as fast as possible to help me out??? I really doubt it!

I explained that this was the 3rd pipe break in 2 months and having to wait up to 12 hours to have running water was a violation of fair housing code. Jennifer wasn't interested in that and told me that it is "like that anywhere you go with other properties." She added in her defense that "pipes break when it freezes" and said, "What am I supposed to do about it?"
(NOTE: That is an exact quote that was documented due to my recording the conversation with a digital voice recorder with a high gain omni-directional microphone that I had in my pocket. I would be happy to provide a copy of that conversation to upper management should they request to hear it.)

"What am I supposed to do about it?"  REALLY??? Is that what residents should expect and accept? After all... It is like that at all the other places (sarcasm).

I went to the FaceBook page for the manager, Jennifer Dales and I was upset to see what she had posted to her wall. I should note that it was on her personal FB page and not on the Landmark at Rosewood page.
I took a screen shot of the post so, I could show it here. I assume once her bosses or anyone else at the property see's it, she will rush to delete it. Oh yes, here it is...

Image from FaceBook and used under first amendment protection
In two months of living at this property... Things like what I just wrote is common.

What I want is simple. I don't want to live here anymore. I don't like having to fight management in order to get basic things that are supposed to be provided as part of the lease agreement.
I want to have the 12-month lease voided and be allowed to move without penalty and have a portion of various deposits refunded. I will be posting about other problems as well.... And there are many.

No comments:

Post a Comment